Monday, March 2, 2020

February Reading Wrap Up!

Greetings Lovelies!

Wow, I'm so surprised to see we're already in March! Where in the world does the time go?

First! Hope you're all digging the new blog! It's my pride and joy here on the interwebs and hopefully I'll get to book you all to death!

Decided to break this bab in by doing one of those fancy fangled wrap up things!

To bring everyone up to speed, I'm currently in the middle of getting my mother in law moved in with us which has put a damper on my reading time.

BUT! And this is big.....

A publisher picked up my first two books and wants to relaunch them. No deets yet because I can't but I will!

Onto the show!


1) The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding, Alexandra Bracken


Blurb (courtesy of Goodreads):

I would say it's a pleasure to meet thee, Prosperity Oceanus Redding, but truly, I only anticipate the delights of destroying thy happiness.

Prosper is the only unexceptional Redding in his old and storied family history — that is, until he discovers the demon living inside him. Turns out Prosper's great-great-great-great-great-something grandfather made — and then broke — a contract with a malefactor, a demon who exchanges fortune for eternal servitude. And, weirdly enough, four-thousand-year-old Alastor isn't exactly the forgiving type.

The fiend has reawakened with one purpose — to destroy the family whose success he ensured and who then betrayed him. With only days to break the curse and banish Alastor back to the demon realm, Prosper is playing unwilling host to the fiend, who delights in tormenting him with nasty insults and constant attempts trick him into a contract. Yeah, Prosper will take his future without a side of eternal servitude, thanks.

Little does Prosper know, the malefactor's control over his body grows stronger with each passing night, and there's a lot Alastor isn't telling his dim-witted (but admittedly strong-willed) human host.



Review:

I don't usually read Middle Grade books for undisclosed reasons. However, when my husband brought me The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding by Alexandra Bracken, I picked it up due to my familiarity with the author's name. I am proud to say I am pleasantly pleased with this novel. It tells the tale of the cursed Redding family who made a deal with a demon known as a malefactor named Alastor. The demon comes to inhabit young Prosper Redding and now he has to find a way to free himself with the help of his estranged uncle Barnabus and his daughter Cornelia. As I said, I adored this book. It is well-written with deep characters and an interesting plotline unique to any middle grade I have read. Alexandra Bracken truly is a wizard with words. My only complaint is one I usually have which is the shallow world building. Being a largely character driven story, I understand why, though I believe combining the two would make this a spectacular series. I will be picking up the second installment right after binging my current read.

Find it on Goodreads



2) Hush, Hush, Becca Fitzpatrick





Blurb (courtesy of Goodreads):

A SACRED OATH
A FALLEN ANGEL
A FORBIDDEN LOVE


Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life.


Review:


Oh my bloody gosh, I am in love!! Patch is my new book boyfriend. What a hottie! There was nothing I didn't like about this book. The story, the characters, the twist and uniqueness....ugh, I could ramble on and on.
*****
When Hush, Hush first came out, I admit I was leery. Very leery. With everyone nutso about Twilight, I kept my distance but man am I stupid for doing so. The author does such an amazing thing with a common trope. These are my favorite kinds of stories. A couple of things I didn't like were the overused "meet at school" thing and times where dialogue appeared to ramble. There were also some scenes I felt could've either been omitted or used to add more conflict. Otherwise, I loved every bit. That ending makes me want to read more. So much more. And guess what, I'm getting the second book asap!!


Oh my bloody gosh, I am in love!! Patch is my new book boyfriend. What a hottie! There was nothing I didn't like about this book. The story, the characters, the twist and uniqueness....ugh, I could ramble on and on.
*****
When Hush, Hush first came out, I admit I was leery. Very leery. With everyone nutso about Twilight, I kept my distance but man am I stupid for doing so. The author does such an amazing thing with a common trope. These are my favorite kinds of stories. A couple of things I didn't like were the overused "meet at school" thing and times where dialogue appeared to ramble. There were also some scenes I felt could've either been omitted or used to add more conflict. Otherwise, I loved every bit. That ending makes me want to read more. So much more. And guess what, I'm getting the second book asap!!


3) Crescendo (Hush, Hush #2), Becca Fitzpatrick


Blurb (Courtesy of Goodreads):

Nora Grey's life is still far from perfect. Surviving an attempt on her life wasn't pleasant, but at least she got a guardian angel out of it. A mysterious, magnetic, gorgeous guardian angel. But despite his role in her life, Patch has been acting anything but angelic. He's more elusive than ever (if that's possible) and what's worse, he seems to be spending time with Nora's archenemy, Marcie Millar.

Nora would have hardly noticed Scott Parnell, an old family friend who has moved back to town, if Patch hadn't been acting so distant. Even with Scott's totally infuriating attitude, Nora finds herself drawn to him - despite her lingering feelings that he is hiding something.

If that weren't enough, Nora is haunted by images of her murdered father, and comes to question whether her Nephilim bloodline has anything to do with his death. Desperate to figure out what happened, she puts herself in increasingly dangerous situations to get the answer. But maybe some things are better left buried, because the truth could destroy everything - and everyone - she trusts.

Review:



** spoiler alert ** This wasn't as good as the first one. We follow the struggling relationship between Patch and Nora. Nora gets angry that Patch doesn't return her feelings for her in the same way she cares for him. It didn't make any sense to me as to why she all of a sudden decided to give up when she fought so hard to get him in the first one.

The story dragged in a few places and I feel it could've benefited from more conflict and less dead air.

I've never read the Twilight series but I did see the movies. This felt very New Moon to me in the way Bella did foolish things to get back at Edward or to get him to come back to her.

They being said, I enjoyed the building of the conflict in the end and the twist involving Nora and her bloodline.

I've started the third one and it's already captured my attention.

* * * *

There were a few more but they were for a review company I work for. These are my faves of the month. Be sure to check out my Instagram where I post daily (almost hourly) updates for everything book!

If you're interested in having your book reviewed, click here --> Review Policy I'm always open for reviews and read SUPER FAST so please don't hesitate to get in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment